October 13, 2012
Twitter is full of grownups — the average age of Twitter users is 37.3.
A growing number of lawyers are using social networks to promote their practice, and if you are not one of them it is time to wake up and smell the coffee (hopefully, as you pour over status updates on Facebook.)
Changes in search engine algorithms and consumer demand for social content and connection are both major contributing to factors as to why smart lawyers and business owners are integrating social networks into their marketing plan.
That, and well, it works as you can see by some of the statistics below.
2012 Social Media Stats
- 85,962 – Number of monthly posts by Facebook Pages in Brazil, making it the most active country on Facebook.
- 1 billion – Number of monthly active users on Facebook, passed in October.
- 47% – Percentage of Facebook users that are female.
- 40.5 years – Average age of a Facebook user.
- 2.7 billion – Number of likes on Facebook every day.
- 24.3% – Share of the top 10,000 websites that have Facebook integration.
- 200 million – Monthly active users on Twitter, passed in December.
- 819,000+ – Number of retweets of Barack Obama’s tweet “Four more years”, the most retweets ever.
- 327,452 – Number of tweets per minute when Barack Obama was re-elected, the most ever.
- 729,571 – Number of messages per minute when the Chinese microblogging service Sina Weibo saw 2012 finish and 2013 start.
- 9.66 million – Number of tweets during the opening ceremony of the London 2012 olympics.
- 175 million – Average number of tweets sent every day throughout 2012.
- 37.3 years – Average age of a Twitter user.
- 307 – Number of tweets by the average Twitter user.
- 51 – Average number of followers per Twitter user.
- 163 billion – the number of tweets since Twitter started, passed in July.
- 123 – Number of heads of state that have a Twitter account.
- 187 million – Number of members on LinkedIn (September).
- 44.2 years – Average age of a Linkedin user.
- 135 million – Number of monthly active users on Google+.
- 5 billion – How many times per day the +1 button on Google+ is used.
- 20.8% – Usage share of HootSuite as a social media management tool among the world’s top 100 brands.